St. Andrew’s Episcopal School is set to open its new lower school building with a dedication ceremony on Friday, August 21. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. at the school’s location on Old Canton Road in Jackson. The program will start with a blessing and dedication of the structures, followed by a reception and a tour for attendees.
The gathering is expected to include school leadership, faculty, staff, trustees, students, alumni, and local community leaders. Campaign donors and cabinet members, along with architects involved in the project, are also anticipated to attend. Local elected officials are listed among the expected guests for the celebration.
School officials stated that this new campus completes the first phase of the Making the Way Campaign. They described the initiative as the largest capital project in the school’s history and an investment in education in Jackson and Mississippi. The school was founded in 1947 and operates as an independent, coeducational day school serving students from infancy through twelfth grade.
The new facility features classrooms designed with natural light and writable surfaces. The buildings include grade-level neighborhoods, which the school describes as flexible shared spaces intended to support project-based learning and interdisciplinary instruction. Additional features mentioned by the school include sinks in classrooms, sound insulation, dimmable lighting, and flexible learning areas.
A central green space is included in the design, described as large and secure. This area contains an outdoor amphitheater classroom. School officials also noted that the building houses one of the largest storm shelters in Mississippi.